Thursday, May 2, 2013

15. san diego bound

Hey hi hello,

If you have read my post title (or maybe saw me tweet/Facebook it) and you aren't freaking out yet, well HELLO THERE YOU SHOULD BE (FOR ME.)

That's right ma bitches,

I'M GOING TO SAN DIEGO! 

After one and a half years of anxious waiting and constant worrying, San Diego State University finally accepted me. And I couldn't be more ecstatic. I was rejected last year from the university for reasons unknown (probably because of my shitty CGPA) but I really worked hard for it after that. Three semesters of pushing my grades up, retaking a subject I hated and getting all up in that extra curricular, I finally managed to garner a CGPA above 3.00.


I would apologize for the spam but I'm really not all that sorrowful. I'm absolutely stoked, ecstatic, enthusiastic, jazzed up, excited [insert other synonyms here] to be going to a place of my dreams. California is stellar enough, but San Diego has always been gold to me. The best part is, Sofia will be coming along with me, and hopefully my baby girl Daena Marissa too. 

I have some dua sen I would like drop here. For all of you aspiring to go to the United States, here's my take on making your decision. Don't bother yourself with ranking or quality of the school. Yes, that plays an important part, I'm sure you would have thought about that before even applying to the school. But when choosing where you would like to end up, I say go for the location you prefer. You're already getting an American degree, you're already two steps ahead of your (local) peers. Go to the States for the culture, the lifestyle, the people, the food, the parties. Don't go to the States and end up in some farmhouse with cows or being forced to put up with being stuck in the house because there's a fucking snowstorm outside. If you hate the cold, don't go somewhere where it snows. If you want to surf, go to Hawaii. If you want to slam your hands on a taxi and shout "hey I'm walking over here" when crossing the road, go to NY City. Live your dreams. This opportunity only comes once, and it's been given to you on a platter wrapped with a star spangled banner. Don't worry about your future employers, they should know what an American degree is worth. They will want to know what you've learned from being in the States for two years (or more), the experiences you gained, the people you met, the skills you've picked up. All that doesn't come from a highly ranked school. Paper qualification can open doors, but it takes a whole lot more to stand out in your industry. 

I've given this advice to many people, and so far, I haven't heard of anyone regretting their decision. Besides that, don't. ever. give. up. I fought hard for San Diego State and I finally got it. Yes, your CGPA is a bitch because sometimes that is all they (the admissions office) look at. But if you really want to go to a certain university, please don't settle for less. Take another semester, repeat a few more subjects. You will get there.

Disclaimer: I'm saying all this without considering the financial factor. Of course, every university, every city has different costs, I'm not disregarding that it should be taken into deliberation. Personally, my family is also finding it difficult to fuel my California Dreaming but I'm doing my part by committing myself to a part time job (both here and in the States, later), looking for scholarships and perhaps even taking loans. Nothing should stop you from going to where you want.

Good luck guys.

Till the next post.

Au revior, mes amis.
post signature

3 comments:

  1. Very concise and meaningful.
    The way you presented it clearly reflects your personality.
    p/s: thanks for being my PASS leader for ENGL 101, and wish you have a pleasant journey in US!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Gooi! Really appreciate it :)

      You're most welcome, you were one of the best students I had too, and I'm glad you've made your mark in ADP. Hope to see you in the States soon!

      Take care.

      Delete
  2. Hey Denise,
    Thanks for posting this on the ADP page- thus leading me here.
    I was actually in conflict with myself as to where I should go, though mine is more of a country dilemma- Canada or US. What you've written here is exactly what I was thinking- that I would be happier in Canada even though the US uni has given a better offer.
    So thank you for sharing this with me and the rest of us at ADP.
    I wish you the best of luck in San Diego!
    -Nicole Chan

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog