Friday, June 28, 2013

#22 walking a tightrope

Hey hi hello,



Yes, this post has a soundtrack!

The magazines are closed for the month, and there's absolutely nothing work-related needed of me. The Juice writer is in Kuching having the time of his life at Rainforest World and my editor is well, hardly around. I could always find something to do, like that interview I never transcribed or that boring event listing to write. I've got two weeks left in my last (hopefully forever) internship, and I can't wait to start doing my own thing.

I guess a proper blog update was imminent. I've betrayed my own self-proclamation of being a writer (among many other things) because I haven't written anything substantial, personal or worthy to be read in a long time. Putting aside the previous rant that I called a blog update, I miss updating this space.

There are loose ends that need to be tied, I owe it to whatever readers I may have, and to myself. I know lengthy blog posts have never appealed to anyone, so I've cracked it down to three stories (for lack of a better word).

Because I can't sit still.


The project that I have been going on and on about in my previous updates has finally materialized. It probably isn't news to you if you're following me on the other spaces I spew my nonsense (Twitter, Facebook), because I have been diligently trying to get the word out there. /koffkoff

Say hello to Craft & Draft, a platform for young writers, the brainchild of yours truly and the baby of Daena Marissa, Chew Wei Ren, Syira Amin and I.

The amount of amazing writers I know in my own tiny circle of friends (what more the entire country) is amazing and the lack of attention these writers (by profession or for pleasure) are getting (or not, rather) is upsetting. With websites such as Thought Catalog getting a lot of attention and doing pretty damn well,  I decided to start my own adapted version, but with content catered to Malaysians/Asians, and with no discrimination towards any identity.

We launched with 10 articles last week, and we're compiling the next cycle as we speak. I am so happy with the feedback, and with the submissions we've received that I can't wait to see how this will continue to grow. I didn't do this seeking monies or recognition. I did this because the recognition should go to those who deserve it. And anyone who takes the effort to write something creative needs to be seen/heard/read.

It's personal, it's raw and it's beautiful. I haven't written anything on it myself (for obvious reasons) but I'm excited for what's to come. You can take a look and tell me what you think at craftndraft.com.

Because I'm sometimes full of bullshit.

Earlier in March this year, I decided to come up with a project called 21 things. Well, naturally, it never happened. I am upset with myself for not pursuing it, and I can come up with an endless list of excuses. I suppose most of the items on said list of excuses could be legit, including having all my time taken up by two back-to-back internships and not getting paid.

I would love to at least try and cross out a few on the list. However, my 21st is in exactly 10 days, which makes it next to impossible. I also realize I never revealed the list, it's still a dusty draft in my folders. All that being said, I will TRY to attempt a few things on the list  before the 8th of July. Here goes.
4. Go for a pole dancing class (and humiliate myself.)
5. 
Braless day out.
7. 
Dye my hair blue (I'm kidding on this one.)
9. 
Paint a picture.
14. 
Get my ass to the USA (hey, at least we're close to this one.)
16. 
See my boyfriend (although highly unlikely.)
17. 
Give away my old clothes.
The rest of the list isn't exactly too unachievable. I might actually be able to cross out more if I extend the deadline until I leave for the States. 

Does starting Craft & Draft at least take up two "things"?

Because I'm older but not necessarily wiser.

Relative to the above, I'm turning 21 in ten days!!!!!

Still don't know what I'll be doing. To say that I don't care and would rather spend the night in jammies would be a lie, but to say that I must celebrate getting smashed drunk with confetti in my hair while I make out with the toilet bowl isn't exactly true either. I do want to party, I do want to be surrounded by my loved ones, but ugh, I don't know.

I somehow feel that if I'm not going to go all out, I might as well not celebrate. That's kinda shallow, isn't it?

So there you have it. I'm also very broke (what's new) so I really can't be assed about being too ambitious in my adventures. The need to prioritize is overwhelming, and getting myself to the United States tops the list. Sigh, money oh money you ain't funny.

Till the next post.
post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog